👉 Please reference you found the job on Remote Software Engineering Jobs, this helps us get more companies to post here, thanks!
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code intelligence platform helps developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. By enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our business is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code intelligence yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it--just like Google). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Why this job is exciting
As the Head of Ship, you will help bring Sourcegraph to enterprise-grade readiness across the board, both internally for SG devs and externally for our customers. You will be responsible for driving operational maturity programs and initiatives across the 300-person/90-developer company, including designing processes where we have gaps, and bringing existing processes to modern standards.
Within one month, you will…
- Start building a trusting relationship with your direct reports and peers.
- Understand the what, why, and how of the projects that your teams are working on, how those projects contribute to our company goals, as well as current status, risks, and mitigations.
- Own the Sourcegraph developer experience end-to-end, bringing best practices in builds, CI/CD, and developer productivity.
- You will work closely with the Sourcegraph Cloud team to ensure that they are also using best practices.
Within three months, you will…
- Guide an existing DevEx team forward in reducing the time from code to deployment and improving the observability of the testing/deployment environments and pipelines.
- Lead a team that runs self-hosted deployments, from the small hobbyist experience to the large corporate customer’s first official setup. Your deep experience with both modern and legacy architectures will help you tailor the Sourcegraph installation and setup process to a wide variety of specialized needs for enterprise, while remaining easy and accessible for hobby devs.
Within six months, you will…
- Help Sourcegraph level up in all phases of deployment, operations, and incident response, including bringing best practices in-house for building stable and resilient systems, including on-premises at very large customers with custom configurations and architectures. Your team will not initially be large enough to perform all this work; hence, you must work closely with the rest of the Engineering organization to ensure that everyone is following best practices.
Within one year, you will…
- Have hired and retained exceptional people to make our team even more representative of the world’s population.
- Collaborate with product and engineering leadership to develop the next set of ambitious goals that your org should work towards.
- Develop a clear technical and execution strategy to achieve that next set of goals.
Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a particular time-zone preference for this role.
This job is an M4. You can read more about our job leveling philosophy in our Handbook -> https://handbook.sourcegraph.com/benefits-pay-perks/pay-expenses/compensation/leveling-guide/
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
This role will challenge your leadership skills, requiring you to drive initiatives in a fully-remote company that is distributed globally. You will be a high-agency actor, finding the right balance between disturbing other important work and moving the needle on operational excellence. It will not be an easy problem to solve, but as the ideal candidate, you have already done this many times at other companies in many configurations.
- Experience with Kubernetes is a requirement. Experience with Bazel is desirable, along with building and deploying Go-based microservice architectures.
- As the ideal candidate, you will have deep familiarity with the Google SRE operations model, as well as professional experience with the subjects covered in the Google SRE book. Experience with alternative ops models, such as those employed by Amazon, Netflix, and other high-velocity companies with large scale and deep technical stacks, is also desirable.
- Some familiarity with Google Cloud Platform is a must, and AWS and/or Azure experience are bonuses.
- Security/secops experience is a bonus but not required.
Our Hiring Process
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook -> https://handbook.sourcegraph.com/talent/types_of_interviews).
It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
Introduction Stage - we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
- [30m] Recruiter Screen
- [60m] Hiring Manager Screen
- [60m] Resume Deep Dive
Team Interview Stage - we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
- [60m] Technical Interview
- [60m] Cross-functional Team Collaboration Interview
- [60m] Peer Interview
Final Interview Stage - we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
- [30m] Values Interview
- [30m] Leadership Interview
- We check references and make you an offer!
And that’s it! Please note - you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
We pay you an above-average salary because we want to hire the best people who are fully focused on helping Sourcegraph succeed, not worried about paying bills. You will have the flexibility to work and live anywhere in the world (unless specified otherwise in the job description), and we’ll never take your location or current/past salary information into account when determining your compensation. As an open and transparent company that values equitable and competitive compensation for everyone, our compensation ranges are visible to every single Sourcegraph Teammate. To determine your salary, we use a number of market and data-driven salary sources and target the high-end of the range, ensuring that we’re always paying above market regardless of where you live in the world.
The target compensation for this role is $235,830 base.
In addition to our cash compensation, we offer equity (because when we succeed as a company, we want you to succeed, too) and generous perks & benefits.
The perks outlined in this section are available to all teammates, regardless of the country they’re based in.
- 🏡 All remote. We are an all-remote team so you have flexible work hours, work with the best people worldwide, and never waste time commuting. We give you a budget to work from a coworking space and a budget to set up your home office.
- 🏖️ Flexible PTO. We have a flexible Paid Time Off (PTO) policy with mandatory 30-day annual vacation time that encourages our team to recharge when they need to. Take more if you need it! Read more about our philosophy on mandatory vacation time and PTO.
- 🏃 Wellness. A healthy mind and body is imperative to doing your best work and living a healthy life. We offer a $100 monthly wellness stipend that can be used at your discretion.
- 👪 Family planning support. We value and support teammates at all stages of life. We ensure that all teammates are afforded at least 16 weeks of paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child (Sourcegraph will bridge any gap of unpaid parental leave, so coverage details vary by location), and a reimbursement of up to $25,000 USD for family planning services (including but not limited to adoption, IVF, egg/sperm freezing, surrogacy, fertility hormone testing, morning after pill, abortion services, etc). Receipts for any expense over $25 are required.
- 📚 Professional development. In addition to on-the-job training, we offer a $1,000 yearly reimbursement for educational opportunities (such as courses, extended education, books, conferences, etc.). We also hold detailed, twice annual 360 degree Impact review cycles for all teammates. Receipts for any expense over $25 are required.
- ✈️ Travel. We have generous travel budgets to encourage you to connect face to face with your teammates regularly.
- 🌐 Internet. Your paycheck automatically includes a fixed reimbursement for $50 of internet expenses monthly.
- 📱 Mobile phone. Your paycheck automatically includes a fixed reimbursement for $75 of mobile phone expenses monthly.
- 🎧 Desk set-up. We want to ensure all teammates have a workspace that will make them comfortable and productive, so we offer a $2,000 desk set-up budget for all full-time teammates to provide them with any necessary equipment to make that possible. Receipts for any expense over $25 are required. The budget does not expire and can be used at any point in time during your tenure at Sourcegraph.
- 🏢 Co-working space. We offer our teammates a $300–500 monthly budget to join a coworking space. Our intention is not for teammates to use this budget to rent set/permanent office spaces, but rather to have an alternative, flexible space from which to work if and when they may not be able to work from their homes productively. With the wide variety of coworking spaces and options available throughout the world, we ask that teammates stick to options within this budget, including all amenities and parking—teammates absorb any additional cost for more expensive options, locations and/or amenities, such as private offices within coworking spaces, which are often not necessary. We also encourage teammates to consider coworking spaces where subscriptions include access to their spaces in various locations, particularly for teammates who enjoy traveling. If your circumstances are exceptional and require spend outside of this budget, feel free to reach out to the PeopleOps team. Receipts for any expense over $25 are required.
- 🚚 Moving help. Whether you are relocating to join us or simply moving to a new place after you have already joined, we offer a yearly $1,000 reimbursement for hiring professional movers to reduce the stress associated with moving. Should you choose to move yourself, you may use this reimbursement for purchasing/renting moving boxes, packing materials, and if needed, a moving van/truck. Receipts for any expense over $25 are required.
The benefits outlined in this section are currently only available to US-based teammates. You can read more about our benefits here. All benefits go into effect on day 1 of employment.
- 🏥 Medical. We offer high-quality medical, dental, and vision care for all US-based full-time employees and their dependents. Sourcegraph covers 100% of premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents (for US-based full-time employees).
- 🏥 Life insurance. We offer basic life insurance and cover the full premium for all US-based full-time employees.
- 🏦 401(k). We offer a 401(k) for US-based employees with both traditional (pre-tax) and Roth options to help you save for retirement while saving on taxes. The 401(k) is administered by Human Interest and has several low-fee Vanguard funds available as investment options.