👉 Please reference you found the job on Remote Software Engineering Jobs, this helps us get more companies to post here, thanks!
Transloadit allows you to receive, transform, or deliver any file with our API without owning or managing infrastructure. Since 2009, Transloadit has helped over 25,000 startups & enterprises from more than 135 countries convert 96 million gigabytes of media on our platform.
For example, our customer Coursera lets professors upload courseware to their platform. Behind the scenes, Transloadit handles the uploads and creates many different variants of the videos, images and PDFs, so that they display well on all different devices. Coursera does not need to worry about scaling CPUs to encode video, FFmpeg versions, codecs, parameters, error handling, etc. This frees up developer & machine cycles, so they can focus on what they do best: educating the world.
We are seeking a senior-level Node.js Backend Developer to join our team and help us continue to scale, modernize, and improve our service. As a Node.js Backend Developer at Transloadit, you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, including building and maintaining our API, improving our file processing pipeline, and more.
- Develop and maintain our Node.js API
- Improve and optimize our file processing pipeline
- Collaborate with the rest of the team to identify and solve problems
- Write clean, maintainable, and efficient code
- Stay up-to-date with the latest industry trends and technologies
- You are curious; you are comfortable pursuing issues through multiple layers of a software stack, and enjoy investigating, understanding, and solving problems.
- You care about writing robust systems, code quality, performance and technical debt. You understand the tradeoffs that doing rigorous engineering requires.
- Willingness to be on call for incident response. We are flexible in shifts and happily cover for each other when needed. You'll pair with a senior and won't be responsible until you indicate that you are ready.
- Degrees are optional as long as you can demonstrate experience and that you leave no stone unturned.
- Excellent communication skills (English) and the ability to work well in a remote team.
- Strong debugging skills. Strong ability to read and understand existing code. It should be no problem for you to deep dive into a large, 14-year-old code base.
- The ability to work autonomously, finding valuable things to work on, keeping track of your own todos.
- Familiarity with Linux and the CLI.
- Bonus: experience with contributing to open-source projects, MySQL, Terraform, AWS, TypeScript, Nix.
Our Hiring Process
- Send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.
- We'll review all of them. Sometimes we get many, and we're a small team. It may take time to get back to you.
- We'll get back to you and let you know if you have made it to the 2nd round.
- We'll invite you to our Slack for a chat. We may ask about previous experiences and we'll try to answer questions you have about our company or this position.
- We'll get back to you and let you know if you have made it to the 3rd round.
- We'll schedule a video call to get better acquainted, see if we're a cultural match, and do deeper dives on things you created.
- We'll let you know if you got the job.
Can I Buy a Rolex?
Our pay is not yet on par with some of the well-funded VC-backed Bay Area companies. So if you are intent on buying that Rolex very soon, you should not apply at Transloadit. We are bootstrapped and 100% VC-free. ✅
We do however seek to give everyone involved fair compensation for their time invested in Transloadit. It should also be noted that not being beholden to shareholders value allows us to optimize for goals other than "5X return in 5 years" without caring too much what's left behind when that is achieved. Goals such as employee satisfaction.
- $50-$65 per hour, depending on experience and seniority
- Option to be on payroll instead of freelance if located in Germany
What Are the Perks Besides Pay?
- As a Developer: Mainly (or fully) working on open source projects
- Working remotely from anywhere
- Flexible working hours
- Picking your projects based on interest
- A transparent, open-minded and distraction-free work environment
- Being part of a great team of skilled and passionate people
- Time to improve your skills and explore your interests
- Company-sponsored trips and conference passes
- Kindles with an unlimited book budget (fair use policy applies)
- Machine-purchasing budget for near-fulltimers
- Billable time to play video games with the team
Will There Be Raises?
Yes. As people pick up more skills, become more proficient, and as Transloadit generates more profit, there will be corresponding raises. They are transparent internally upon request.
Will There Be Bonuses?
Besides christmas gifts, we haven't given out Bonuses. If we decide to do so in the future, they will be transparent internally upon request.