👉 Please reference you found the job on Remote Software Engineering Jobs, this helps us get more companies to post here, thanks!
Platform.sh is a remote-first global workforce building a better cloud platform to create, manage and responsibly scale web applications.
As a collective with diverse backgrounds, we work together to test, innovate, and challenge one another, finding new ways to reimagine digital experiences. We’re here to help our customers thrive.
Bring your experience to our team, and help us build a better way.
For its groundbreaking PaaS solution, https://platform.sh is looking for a Cloud Software Engineer based in France with an interest in Python or Go, good understanding of Linux systems, and an ability to embrace the challenges of building robust, distributed systems.
There are many interesting challenges at Platform.sh that could use your attention:
- Our project backend allows customers to update their application with a Git push, or spin up a development environment in one step. We’re steadily adding more features to it
- We maintain a wide selection of LXC, VM (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, OpenStack), and Docker images using concise, declarative manifests
- We have a high container density in our industry, and we’re aiming to get it higher
- We’ve been working hard on a fast, resilient, and cost-optimized observability framework to make system behavior transparent to us and our customers
- We support customer applications that use many different programming languages, including Python, Ruby, NodeJS, PHP, Java, Elixir, and .NET
- We want to explore many other areas, including auto-healing on high-availability clusters, the performance of our multi-protocol ssh proxy, improvements to our block storage layer built on Ceph, new features on the edge layer, and the great ideas you’ll bring with you when you join
- By the way, we have our own orchestration software. For example, you won't be using Kubernetes for now, but will instead collaborate with the team to create other great tools :)
If you’re preparing for the technical interview, it might be helpful to know that this role involves more systems engineering than application development. So knowing about system calls is more important than, say, knowing Django.
If you don't have all the required skills: we are also looking for potential. We understand the importance of an active mind, and no one's skills are more important to us than finding a good overall fit.
This is a remote job. Work anywhere from France!
We’re a worldwide, distributed team looking for the best talent. Our remote model has been in practice and thriving since 2014. To us, remote work means flexibility and having truly diverse, global teams.
To maximize team collaboration with product, design and engineering teams, this role is preferred in France in time zones ranging from UTC-1 to UTC+2.
What you bring
- A curiosity about all things computer related, with a broad understanding of operating systems, system administration, networking, distributed systems, and version control, or strong expertise in one or more of those areas
- Proficiency in Python or Go. We also love other languages, so if you’re interested in working with Python and Go and have expertise in a couple of other languages, we’d still like to hear from you
- French and English fluency
Nice to have
- Strong knowledge of Git usage or internals
- Networking background (routing/protocols)
- Knowledge of practical security and cryptography
- Experience with C / C++ (we contribute to a bunch of upstream projects, like LXC) is a plus; love of C or C++ not required
- Good knowledge of how the Web works (hacking Nginx with Lua a plus). You may want to brush up on HTTP before the interview
- Good understanding of how database systems and search engines work
- A good notion of distributed systems (consensus protocols like Raft/Paxos, eventual consistency models, gossip protocols)
- Experience with Debian packaging or system administration
Our Hiring Process
We know that a great hire won’t meet every requirement that we’ve outlined. If you can see yourself elevating the team, we want to hear your story. Few of us would be here had we not taken a chance.
You can expect 3 – 4 interviews on Google Meet. You will have the opportunity to meet with a variety of Platformers throughout the interview process. You’ll also have the opportunity to schedule virtual coffee chats with potential future peers to see if you can envision working together. Use interview and coffee time to make sure the company aligns with what you’re looking for in your future working environment.
Expect a higher number of interviews for director-level roles and above.
All roles require background checks.
- An innovative product you can believe in. We’re sustainably changing the way companies develop and manage their web applications
- We’re voted as A Best Place to Work by 96% of our employees, Forbes Top 30 Companies for Remote Jobs, and in France Best Workplaces for Women
- Hands on leadership that cares in a flexible, open work environment, where your voice is encouraged. We can always find ways to do better and look forward to hearing your ideas
- A global team, rich with culture and diversity
- Company-wide DE&I initiative that you can be a part of
- Team offsites such as go-to-market teams kick-off, local meets, Exco offsites, marketing sponsored events, etc (when we're not experiencing a pandemic)
- A Wellness stipend and a Professional development budget
- Office equipment budget
- Fair PTO (standards based on location)
- Inclusive parental leave (timeline based on location)
- Healthcare, dental, and vision (US, CA, UK, and FR employees only)
- Tandem – a pool of linguists from around the world willing to help each other work on learning new languages
- Additional compensation for on-call ops and support employees
- Company shares (discretionary)
- Unlimited Platform.sh accounts