👉 Please reference you found the job on Remote Software Engineering Jobs, this helps us get more companies to post here, thanks!
A tech company that puts people & the planet first. Join Ecosia and help reforest the planet!
A better planet with every search - Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's largest social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable world, we are planting and protecting forests by enabling people to channel their everyday actions into environmental good. So far our 20+ million users have planted over 160 million trees. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant native and biodiverse trees worldwide!
Do you want to become part of a fun and inspiring team and shape a product used by millions of users every day and help regenerate our ecosystem? Come join us!
About our technology stack:
- Mobile: Swift, Firefox for iOS
- Backend: Go-lang or Python services using REST and gRPC
- Infrastructure: Cloudflare, AWS
- Tooling: Grafana, Github and CircleCI with fastlane for our CI/CD
We don’t expect you to have experience with all of the above but if you’re curious to learn and pair across these technologies this could be a good match!
We are looking for a Senior iOS Engineer to join us remotely or in our office in Berlin. We need support in our team’s mission to scale our search engine and make more people climate active!
As a senior engineer in our Mobile team, you will lift our Swift app to the next level. With your contributions, our iOS users will browse the internet safer, find the right things faster with our search engine, and understand their individual climate impact. Day-to-day, you will dive deep on our mobile browser code (based on a fork of Firefox for iOS), design new technical and product solutions, and make other engineers around you better. While developing new features, you drive the collaboration with our backend engineering teams, and work with our designer to improve the user experience of our app. Together with your peers you will engage with the open source community and stay connected with Apple ecosystem.
YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE AN IMPACT:
- Design and review technical solutions.
- Build, test, and release the core iOS browser and search experience of Ecosia.
- Propose new integrations with internal & external APIs.
- Write simple, performant, and testable code.
- Own major features and ensure that they are maintained and improved over time.
- Lead the development of new features in our cross-functional product team.
- Drive the collaboration with colleagues across technical expertises, e.g., Android, Backend, and Frontend.
- Align our engineering practices with the latest developments in the Apple ecosystem.
- Empower your peers to gain deeper technical knowledge on iOS technologies.
- Mentor engineers
- Strengthen our collaborative and inclusive culture, in alignment with our core values and ways of working.
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role: we encourage and support growth and development for everyone.
- 6+ years of expertise writing native iOS apps.
- Hands-on experience in Swift, UIKit and concurrency patterns (like GCD: grand central dispatch and async-await) in Swift.
- Experience working with backend engineering teams.
- Applied knowledge of iOS design guidelines and patterns.
- Eagerness to dive deep technically and grow professionally.
- You can communicate well written and verbally in English (German not required).
Our Hiring Process
Our hiring process consists of 4 steps:
- Quick first call with our recruiter
- Technical conversation with 1 of your potential future colleagues
- Pair programming session with a brief presentation to a potential future colleague
- Final, non-technical interview
(By default, all steps are done remotely.)
We work collaboratively on meaningful projects that create lasting impact. We offer flexible schedules, two no-meeting days a week, and monthly learning days along with other perks like subsidized BVG tickets, renewable energy bills, and German language classes. We continuously work to create a welcoming and inclusive workspace.
Some other benefits we offer are:
- Open to extended periods of remote work in winter & summer
- Visiting one of our partner nurseries after being one year with Ecosia
- Green benefits like bike repair, organic team lunches once a week, discounts on sustainable goods, etc.
- Internal library, and support for your development
- Company doctor, vaccines, online psychological counselling, etc.
- What if your job made a real difference in the climate crisis? Join Ecosia and support planting millions of trees where people and ecosystems need them most.
- We offer you the opportunity to balance work with other parts of your life. (Flexible working hours, more vacation days than the law requires (30 days/year on a five-day week), two no-meeting days, remote work options).
- Moving to Berlin for the first time? We welcome everyone and offer relocation support and visa/work-permit assistance to new employees and their loved ones coming from abroad and within Germany.
- We are a team of more than 25 nationalities that includes people from different sexual orientations, ages, races, physical/mental abilities, child/pet/plant parents non-traditional backgrounds.
- We enable you to live sustainably through our green benefits, such as subsidized public transport cards, bike inspection, green electricity allowance, etc.
- We support your professional growth through monthly learning days, hack days, online and physical library, 2000€ development allowance per year, continuous feedback, etc.